Thursday, August 22, 2013

Arrival in Amman

I am finally in Amman
After borders of two
Israel and Jordan
Having crossed on a long, long tour
This is more than coming back
More than a feeling
More than the once experienced
world: so unique and relieving
With Arabic music on streets
With someone saying so sweet:
Mozza, habibi, gamila (1),
And I laugh: aiwa, ana Masreya, Masreya, Masreya (2)!

Amman looks so live at night
The city – illuminated
My mind – tired, oh, so tired but
Fascinated
I see it from the window of a taxi
I smell it through the fumes of driver’s smoke
His long-sleeved shirt, white and neat
He smokes three cigarettes with an ease
I would normally shout
But today I allow
We pass the wedding
And hear people cheering

I am longing for the morning
To hear the prayer calling
And I want to say salam alekoum
To everyone I meet
Look! A man with a donkey
Walking on a street
Look! An old, old lady
Welcoming us with a cup of tea

Oh, Amman, oh Amman
In the gardens of Allah
You gift me with 10 days
To find my own ways:
To embrace every plant
and kiss desert sand
You make my soul sing,
And my body spring
I am yours, oh Jordan,
I am yours!
With my slightest shivers,
With my deepest thoughts.

(1) Beauty, my love, beautiful
(2) Yes, I am Egyptian, Egyptian, Egyptian (meaning: I was living in Egypt, I know some Arabic; and this reminds me of my Egypt times)








No comments:

Post a Comment