Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Bus Life of Cairo


Photo by M.S.

I happen to be in 6th of October City, a new city blooming in the neighborhood of Cairo. I have to get to the Downtown, an hour from here. Taxi, the most common means of transportation in Egypt, would cost me around 50 Egyptian pounds (around $10) to reach my destination. I am standing on a road, watching the cars, taxes and buses passing by and instead of jumping in the cab, I decide to order a sip of culture: go and try a bus ride. Some people think this can be dangerous, especially for girls as harassment can happen. However, I get a courage, but most of all curiosity to try it out.

Firstly, you need to know how to stop the bus. And that depends on where you want to go. If you go to Pyramids street, you form your hands in the shape of a pyramid, or Lebanon square – you draw a circle with your finger. I need Tahrir square in Downtown and that is a hand stretched forward and shaken from top to bottom. First time might be a bit weird. You feel uncomfortable trying to perfect your hand’s movement in order to stop the right driver. Finally, it stops.
 „Tahrir square?” I want to make sure.
„Yes,” the crowd answers and spends a glance on my getting into the transport.

I manage to find a seat among 15 other passengers sitting by 4 in four rows. Now I start thinkink: how do I pay for my trip? Someone has the same thing on his mind. A person on my left shows his hand as a sign to give him my part of fee.
„How much?” I ask. He is trying to show me on fingers and then a guy from the first row answers „2,50 pounds.” Everyone noticed I joined the club. I give money to the guy who asked me for it. He is the collector of the fee in my row and once collected he passes it to the driver. If you don’t have a change, you can give even 50 pound banknote as the driver will open his window and with a fast movement contact the other bus driver to change your money. The driver seems to be really experienced in this, he doesn’t even slow down as he performs the quick maneuver towards the other driver.

I get an impression this is not only a means of transport; it becomes your one hour socializing place with its unique life there. There’s a guy who suddenly starts talking to me and we end up him offering me a job in Cairo. Another guy needs to pee. The bus stops and gives him the chance. Another one wants to buy Pepsi as it’s unbearably hot, and the bus stops to let him do it. You never know what can happen when you enter a bus in Cairo. In fact, it can also break down on the way and you might need either to wait till it gets repaired or take another bus. One is certain – you better not be in a hurry when exploring this adventurous life. 

Photo by M.S.

4 comments: